Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Breakdown (It's Alright)

It seems I can't do anything right. The last few times I've mowed the grass, I spent a couple hours painstakingly grooming every inch of the front and back yard with the gangly, shuddering hunk of metal and plastic that is our mower. My parents don't seem to think I've done well enough; their complaints mainly pertain to the few blades of grass on the immediate perimeter of the house and on the precipice of the rock-lined flowerbed in the back yard, areas which range from exceedingly difficult to evidently impossible to reach with our current machine. My mother purchased a trimmer for this very purpose, although when I went out today to mow my father instructed me to ignore this device and just get all up in the flowers, "really put some muscle into it."

I finished the front without incident (though I avoided the patchy area encircled by the ankle-high upraised tree root, the terrors of which I detailed in this post) and did the bottom half of the back with somewhat less enthusiasm than usual. (When your progress is impeded by your inability to determine which sections of grass you have and haven't mowed, the result is a small but not insubstantial existential dilemma.) When I got to the top I attempted to put into action this half-baked muscle-based method of which my father spoke. After murdering some innocent flowers and dislodging several rocks from their decorative positions, the mower let out a violent snap, ejected one side of the filter casing, and--either from the damage done or from my terrified release of the safety bar--died with a whir, slumped halfway over the mulch. Somewhere in the near distance an alarmed dog barked in agitation. I left the mower strewn in the plants and went inside, utterly trounced.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like the beginning of a David Lynch movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny you say that. I was watching Blue Velvet the other day and wishing I could find a severed ear so I could have a neat adventure like Kyle McLachlan. That would make my summer, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you can still think of your summer as a David Lynch summer. Except it's more post-David Lynch, like instead of an strange crime world lurking beneath the surface, it's the more realistic suburban malaise that is bursting through. And who knows, maybe that sex party is closer than you think. No homo.

    Or maybe it's more like a Sirk movie. Instead of "All that Heaven Allows" it's "All that Connecticut Allows." Or maybe "Imitation of Ezras" or "Tarnished Ezras." Now I'm just inserting your name into titles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or another title: "Far from Hampshire"

    ReplyDelete
  5. or even another

    "Ezra, Connecticut eats the soul" by Reiner Warner Fassbinder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you see Ezra, your life is just a 50s technicolor melodrama/new german cinema remake/todd haynes movie waiting to happen!

    ReplyDelete

Confederates